Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Soptlight Author - Mary Campisi

If you haven't read any of Mary Campisi's Books then you are missing out. I first Stumbled upon Mary when i was feeling Christmasy and wanted something to read i downloaded my kindle app onto my mobile (yes i think i was the only one without an actual kindle) and started to browse through the free books to see if i could find a Christmas story. 
I
 don't know how it happened but i found A Family Affair,  I was drawn to the cover but it wasn't until I started to read that I found that it wasn't an Christmas story and oh my gosh it was fantastic,  i didn't put the book down until i had read the last chapter and went on to download Pieces Of You and The Way They Were.

It was at this stage that i started to hunt mary down on Facebook i wanted to know more about her books but i couldnt seem to find her,  it was by chance that she commented on a post that another author wrote that i added her as a friend, I then Downloaded my completely favorite book my Mary and that is Paradise Found,  That book is Awesome and is a must read.

I have continued to read all of Mary's books and find each one just as good if not better than the last i have still yet to read A Family Affair - Spring but it is next on my list to be read.

Here is a little more about Mary Campisi

Mary Campisi

Mary Campisi writes books about second chances. Whether contemporary romances, women's fiction, or Regency historicals, her books all center on belief in the beauty of that second chance. Mary should have known she'd become a writer when at age thirteen she began changing the ending to all the books she read. It took several years and a number of jobs, including registered nurse, receptionist in a swanky hair salon, accounts payable clerk, and practice manager in an OB/GYN office, for her to rediscover writing. Enter a mouse-less computer, a floppy disk, and a dream large enough to fill a zip drive. The rest of the story lives on in every book she writes. When she's not working on her craft or following the lives of five young adult children, Mary's digging in the dirt with her flowers and herbs, cooking, reading, walking her rescue lab mix, Cooper, or, on the perfect day, riding off into the sunset with her very own hero/husband on his Ultra Limited aka Harley. Mary has published with Kensington, Carina Press, and The Wild Rose Press. She has recently released A Family Affair: Spring, the long-awaited sequel to A Family Affair. This is book two in the popular family saga series, Truth in Lies. Mary is currently working on A Family Affair: Summer. 

 website: marycampisi.com 
e-mail: mary@marycampisi.com 
blog: marycampisi.com/blog/ 
twitter: twitter.com/#!/MaryCampisi 
facebook facebook.com/marycampisibooks

We have also Managed to get a Interview with Mary, Here is what she had to say 



If you could work with any author who would it be?

Any author?? Hmmm. That’s a tough one, but I think I’d say Barbara Samuel who is also known as Barbara O’Neal. (Back in the day she wrote historical romances as Ruth Wind.) She’s a wonderful fiction writer and I took an online class from her a few years ago. What I learned was invaluable: trust my writing, trust what I write, and tell my story. It was so liberating. I would love to follow her around for a day or a week or a month!

Who is your favourite author and is you writing style similar to theirs?
   
If you are asking all-time favorite, I would say Judith McNaught. I love, love, love her. We don’t have the same writing style, but she can tell a story that pulls me in hard and fast. I love her historical as well as contemporary romances. LOVE them.

What's your favorite part of a book?

My favorite part is about halfway in when everything is such a mess and there are so many problems, you wonder if the characters will ever dig their way out!

When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning? 

No. I do have a book of baby names, but rarely consult it these days. I actually consider a few things when choosing a name– what does the name mean to me, how does it sound when spoken out loud, is there a nickname for it, what does the name represent in society? It has to feel right. And I’ve become more conscious about using the same beginning vowel or consonant for characters of the same book.

Who Are your target readers?

Readers who want an emotional love story that deals with betrayal, forgiveness, and redemption, and includes family, a small-knit community, and a woman’s hope for a second chance.

What are the major themes of your work?
Second chances is the big one. Forgiveness, redemption, acceptance.

Any recent works that you admire?
 
Many, too many to name

What do you think people search for in a book?

I don’t think there’s one answer to that. At times, it depends on a person’s mood. They may be tired or distraught and simply want to escape. Or, they may relate to a character or a situation and connect in that way. Books can give hope, enjoyment, even be a catharsis for a difficult time. I’ve read books for all of those reasons and continue to do so.

How have your personal experiences affected your writing?
 
Oh, that is such a loaded question! I write about belief in the beauty of that second chance. (I’ve even named a series that.) I have lived that mantra: change in careers, a divorce with 3 children under age 6, remarriage to my very own hero, and even adopting a rescue dog 5 years ago. Life was difficult and there were times I didn’t know how I was going to get from day to day, let alone look toward a brighter future. But I had my family, not in proximity because they lived miles and states away – but they were only a phone call away and they were always there for me. I also had 3 young daughters and I knew I had to set a good example for them – one that would teach them about strength, resilience, and respect for themselves. It seems so long ago, but I haven’t forgotten those times or the wonderful second chances that came along.

What genre of books do you like to read? Do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?
 
I do love reading Regency historicals, those are my favorites, but I read other genres. I also read non-fiction books, literary fiction, and whatever else intrigues me.

Were you always good at writing?

I always loved creating a story – of course, where I came from, I had to learn about cities and different people from library books! Yes, I always had a way with words – they intrigued me and I loved reading. BUT, I used to only write essays and such…thought-provoking pieces -no fiction until much later.

How do you get started with writing a story (as in, how do you start developing the story, how do you get inspired for it) 

I think about a situation. The situation grows in my head, sprouts people with hopes, baggage, and lots of problems. The situation gets bigger, the people intersect and collide….then my brain threatens to explode with a huge headache, so I start writing notes so I can get the clutter from my head….Okay, not exactly, but pretty much. I think about a nugget of an idea for a long time, sometimes subconsciously for months, and when the idea will not go away, I know I have to write about it.

What advice would you give to people who "run out of creativity" when writing?

Get out of your chair. Live life. Go apple picking, bake banana bread. Color, Listen to music. Spend time with family. Engage another part of your brain so you won’t think about running out of creativity. Quite a bit of my best thinking comes when I’m walking the dog. And while there’s always much talk about plotters versus pansters, (I’m a combination) I think you do have to have a sense of where your story is headed. If you don’t, you’ll likely hit a wall and struggle. Also, let the rough draft flow…don’t constantly fiddle with it…the truest story is what you are writing the first time. Yes, it’s messy, but there’s serious emotion there. You can correct later – first, get the heart and guts of it down. And above all, embrace the process – it’s one heck of a ride! Writing calms me like nothing else does. Enjoy!

You can find all of Marys books on Amazon here is the link to her Amazon Page uk and at Amazon.com  


 

2 comments:

  1. I love all Mary's book, great interview Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lucy! So glad you enjoy my work.

    ReplyDelete