Thursday, 25 July 2013

The Enforcer

The Enforcer
Nikki Worrell
                     
                              
The Enforcer (NHL Scorpions #1)                                      
Book Description: 

Lacey Benoit is in need of a fresh start. Her best friend, Dr. Zoe Millis, has been begging her to make the move from Maine to California. Taking a leap of faith, Lacey does just that.

Living in San Diego definitely has its perks, such as, sunshine and beaches. The best part of moving to the west coast, however, is that Steven is still on the east coast. Catching your almost husband having sex with one of your bridesmaids on your wedding day would make even the strongest woman jaded. Therefore, Lacey has sworn off men for a while, especially men who travel a lot that have easy access to loose women.

When Lacey meets the new enforcer for the San Diego Scorpions, she thinks she might be in trouble. But she is determined to fight her attraction to the sexy NHL hunk. And she is successful...for about a day.



Brittany's Review:
 
4 Stars!!

I really enjoyed reading this book. It had lots of moments that made me smile with the humor between Jody and Lacey. It was such a cute story!!

I learned a lot about hockey, a sport that I didn't know much about but now I can confidently say I know a little more. :)

This story was about Lacey Benoit who had been around Hockey her entire life. She decided to pack up her life in Maine and move to California with her best friend Zoe. Her life had been pretty rough in the last year or so. She lost her brother and her fiancé cheated. To say the least Lacey was not in a great place.

She moves to San Diego and there meets Jody LaGrange, The Enforcer of the Scorpions. She vows to never fall in love with a man who travels, let alone even try to have a relationship. Jody is determined to make Lacey his.

The story follows the two with their growing attraction for one another and time will only tell how long they can stay apart. They each have their own battles, and have to deal with separate issues throughout the story. I don't want to give away too many details though so I would say if you want to see how the story ends for Lacey and Jody go get this book and begin to read.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was a great, a little slow at times for my tastes and didn't pull me in as much as I had hoped. There some grammatical errors but what book doesn't have them. I have to say I now have a new outlook on hockey and look forward to more books by Nikki Worrell.


Author Interview
 
If you could work with any author who would it be?
Karen Marie Moning

Who is your favourite author and is you writing style similar to theirs?
Karen Marie Moning – No, actually it’s not. She writes in first person, while I prefer third. She writes paranormal books and I don’t. She does use sarcasm and humor which I try to use and all of her characters are strong, as are mine (90% of the time).

What's your favorite part of a book?
The middle. I feel like that’s where all the twists and turns take place. The middle of the book allows you to understand what the beginning was leading up to. It also makes your mind wander in different directions when you are trying to figure out how it will end.

When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning?
No, I have not. I give more thought to where they are from and what that might mean. For example, my first male lead in my first book is an NHL hockey player. He is from Canada (as are most hockey players), others are from Finland, Russia, Czech, etc. but you most likely won’t see a hockey player from, let’s say, India or Iraq, etc. I need my secondary characters to be believable.

Who are your target readers?
I really don’t have a target reader. Anyone who wants to get lost in a novel for a bit may enjoy my writing – time will tell. I don’t target the youth though.

what are the major themes of your work?
Hockey & romance
 
Any recent works that you admire?
I have read a lot of indie authors books lately. I’m not going to name one particular book but I can tell you that I admire each and every book an indie puts out there. It’s hard work and sometimes the reviews are tough to read, so I admire them all!

What do you think people search for in a book?
I think people search for something that they will enjoy reading. Reading should never be something you have to do. Whether you like romance, erotica, non-fiction, fantasy or paranormal, you must enjoy what you pick up to read.

How have your personal experiences affected your writing?
I am an avid hockey fan and I’ve always liked the “underdog” so to speak. Therefore, I never buy the jersey of the team captain or the #1 goal scorer.  Nope, I like the 3rd and 4th liners, enforcers specifically.  I think that enforcers are underrated in the league and a lot of people don’t understand their role. They also have a suicide rate that’s too high. There is a correlation between being hit in the head and depression. Enforcers are hit a lot (as are other players). So my love of enforcers in the NHL lead me to write “The Enforcer”.

What genre of books do you like to read? do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?
It really depends on what’s going on in my life. Lately I’m reading romances because they don’t require deep thinking and I’m very busy writing my own story. When I’m not doing something that requires a lot of concentration and dedication, I’ll read something heavier, like The Panther by Nelson DeMille, which is about taking down a terrorist in Yemen. But typically I like paranormal and romance.
I think that I will stick to the romance genre.

Were you always good at writing?
Hmm, well, I always got As in English and Literature courses. I always got As on research papers. I’ll let you know if I’m any good after I release my first book.  J

How do you get started with writing a story (as in, how do you start developing the story, how do you get inspired for it)
I start with a plot. Something I would like to see happen (not necessarily to me though). As the plot develops in my head, I see the characters involved and it spirals on from there.

What advice would you give to people who "run out of creativity" when writing?
Take a step back. Look at some of your notes to see if that jogs anything loose. But number one – do not be afraid to delete something if it doesn’t work (sometimes that makes me think of an entirely new thing to put in its place and gets me going again). You can’t write a book overnight, give it time and it’ll come to you.



Purchase Links:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enforcer-NHL-Scorpions-ebook/dp/B00CPBBKLA
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Enforcer-NHL-Scorpions-ebook/dp/B00CPBBKLA
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-enforcer-nikki-worrell/1115249456?ean=2940016409511

Author Links:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nikki-Worrell-Author/193214147490837
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6950511.Nikki_Worrell

No comments:

Post a Comment