Thursday, 25 April 2013


Author Interview - Sandra Marton


Sandra Marton
Author of the ‘Wilde Family’ Series
And her new book ‘Emily – Sex & Sensibility’

Book Synopsis

Emily Wilde has led a privileged life. Now she’s trying to make it on her own in Manhattan. Marco Santini grew up dirt poor in a Sicilian slum. Now he has everything. He’s gorgeous. He’s rich. He’s powerful. And he has all the beautiful women a man could ask for. Then, one rainy night, he sees a woman standing alone on a deserted New York street corner. Emily is clearly in need of help, but she’s not foolish enough to step into Marco’s chauffeured Mercedes. It takes a lot of convincing before she lets him take her to her apartment. He swears he’s not going to do anything he shouldn’t and he means it - but she’s in his arms before they can stop themselves. Still, it’s only a kiss, just one kiss in a moment torn out of time. That’s what they both think. But fate has other plans, starting with an unexpected job offer and a business trip to Paris that explodes in a passion so hot it will change everything - everything but the web of lies that trap them both.


Q & A with Sandra Marton

Q - If you could work with another author, who would it be?
Elmore Leonard. He writes the best dialogue! And nobody opens a book the way he does.

Q - Who is your favourite author and is your writing style similar to theirs?
I have a list of favorites. Elmore Leonard. Robert Crais. John Sandford. Daniel Silva. Anne Tyler. And no, my style is not similar to any of their styles. For me, individuality of writing style is what it’s all about.  I love it when readers tell me they could recognize my writing even if they read a chapter of one of my books that didn’t have my name on it. Writers strive for: voices, styles, rhythms all our own.

Q - When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning?
When naming a Greek or Italian or Spanish hero, I sometimes check to find out if the name I've chosen for him might be the opposite of the characteristics I intend to give him, but if you're asking whether I select names based on their meanings, the answer is that I don't. My characters generally present themselves to me, fully named. It's almost as if they have birth certificates.

Q - Who are your target readers?
When I first started writing professionally, my editors told me my target audience was middle-aged married women, but I soon learned that women of all ages and backgrounds love this genre.  Now that I've been lucky enough to have developed a reader base of my own, I see that it's wonderfully diverse. I get email from college students; from homemakers; from attorneys, accountants and professors; from women with all kinds of careers and in all stages of life. And I do have some men who read me.  I really don't target my books to anyone by age or occupation; I write stories I would enjoy reading and that's what seems to draw readers to my books.

Q - What are the major themes of your work?
That sexual passion, what the French call le coup de foudre, literally, a bolt of lightning, can often be the start to a deeper, more committed relationship; that love has the power to tame the wildest heart; that love can be redemption.

Q - Any recent works that you admire?
I particularly love my ongoing Wilde family series. Reader response tells me that I've struck a chord in lots of hearts with Jacob, Caleb, Travis, Emily, Jaimie and Lissa. It’s why I’m thrilled to be now publishing Emily Wilde’s story, Emily: Sex and Sensibility.

If we’re talking about someone else’s work, Robert Crais's latest novel, Suspect, is wonderful.  Crais is a mystery writer but Suspect is not a mystery. It's about a badly wounded LAPD police officer and a badly wounded USMC patrol dog. Both have suffered physical wounds; both recovered from those wounds but have been left with bad cases of PTSD. The story of how they help heal each other is moving and remarkable.

Q - What do you think people search for in a book?
No matter the genre, I think most people search for escape in a book. I don't mean they're unhappy or that they need to escape; I mean that reading is the best way I know to leave your worries or your responsibilities behind so that you can live in a different world for a little while.

Q - How have your personal experiences affected your writing?
I love to travel and my career has made it possible for me to do quite a bit of traveling through h the United States, Europe and South America. The places I’ve seen have heavily influenced my writing by lending it a special touch of personal reality. Another experience that is influential in my work relates to the fact that I was born in and raised in New York City. Because I tend to write about characters that live and work in Manhattan, I’m able to offer an insider’s view of the place. I'm also an inveterate people watcher and--whoops--an eavesdropper of conversations at the next table in a restaurant, etc.  All those things somehow end up in my work.

Q - What genre of books do you like to read? Do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?
I read mostly mysteries but not what you'd called whodunits. I prefer mysteries that involve well-defined characters and interesting relationships.  (See my list of favorite authors, above.) I also read lots of books that deal with the natural world: wilderness, animals, etc.

Q - Were you always good at writing?
I wrote my first "novel" at seven. It was about a poor girl who falls in love with a rich boy. I think I was destined to write romance!

Q - How do you get started with writing a story? (As in, how do you start developing the story, how do you get inspired for it?)
The honest and unhelpful answer is that I don't know. A story can be sparked by something I see or hear, by a newspaper article, by a man and woman I observe in a restaurant or a mall. Characters generally take up residence in my head a few months before I’m ready to write their stories. I begin to think about their personalities. Their formative years. Their current goals and relationships. The "what if?" part--what if this happened to character A and that happened to character B?--comes last.

Q - What advice would you give people who run “out of creativity” when writing?
Another honest and unhelpful answer here. Most writers I know have the opposite problem; they have too many ideas and stories and not enough time to deal with them. If you mean those occasional moments when you sit and stare at your computer monitor and the words just won't come... I do have moments like those. My solution is to get up, walk around, have a cup of coffee, maybe go out for lunch. Or I reach for a book of mine, a recent one, that I think went well. I read a few pages. That generally gets me moving again.
 
 The Wilde Family Saga
The Prince of Pleasure
His Royal Highness, Sheikh Khan bin Zain al Hassad, Crown Prince of Altara, Defender of its Ancient and Honorable Throne, Protector of His People, and Leopard of the Finarian Hills, is a man who holds life and death power in his hands.
The blood of kings and warriors runs in his veins, but when he meets American attorney Laurel Cruz, Khan forgets all his titles and becomes, instead, a man burning with passion for a woman whose traditions are nothing like his own. Laurel insists she wants nothing to do with him. She's a modern woman and she's convinced Khan is the kind of arrogant, powerful man she's fought against all her life--but when he takes her in his arms, she forgets everything except how much she wants him.

THE PRINCE OF PLEASURE will make you laugh as well as cry. It will stir all your emotions as Laurel and Khan take us on an unforgettable journey of the heart.

The Dangerous Jacob Wilde
Jacob Wilde lived a fast and furious life of reckless abandon... until his wild streak put a cruel end to a life spent in pursuit of pleasure.

The Texan grapevine is legendary, so Addison McDowell has heard all about Jake's shameless past- and his scarred, solitary present. But her only focus is her future, which won't include the impossibly arrogant Jacob Wilde!

Addison is no Texan wallflower- when Jake starts a fight, she's more than capable of finishing it! However, having a searing attraction to a man she knows cannot love her back? That, she has no idea how to handle!

The Ruthless Caleb Wilde
Years of relentless work have hardened Caleb Wilde's heart — until one New York night changes everything. Now, he's haunted by the memory of tangled sheets, unrivalled passion and one woman — Sage Dalton.

The siren of his dreams is, in reality, the woman who played him for a fool — but still nothing can satiate his burning desire for her. So when he learns that Sage has something very precious that belongs to him, a gift from their one night, Caleb will stop at nothing to claim it!

The Merciless Travis Wilde
Travis Wilde doesn't do love or commitment - but he'd never turn down a willing woman and a king-sized bed! Normally, innocence like Jennie Cooper's would have the same effect as a cold shower, yet her determination and mouth-watering curves have him burning up all over!

The clock is ticking and, forced to confront her life, Jennie is determined to cross some major things off her to-do list. Some might be risky - like taking on the renowned Travis Wilde - but Jennie has nothing to lose except the one thing she thought was untouchable...her heart.



About the Author
Sandra Marton is a USA Today Bestselling Author and one of Harlequin Presents best-selling writers. She just completed her 80th novel, signed her latest multi-book contract, and has approximately 35,000,000 (and counting!) books in print in twenty-plus languages. Sandra’s novellas, single title books and Presents novels all feature the sexy, gorgeous, complex, tough on the outside but tender on the inside Alpha heroes she loves to create.
Sandra always dreamed of becoming a writer. She wrote poems when she was little, moved on to writing short stories by the time she was in university. She was graduated with Honors in English but, she says, life—a lovely one—intervened with her writing dream. She married, had a family, and became active politically in the small town outside New York City where she and her husband lived. Then, one day, she paused long enough to realize her dream was getting away from her and decided to do something about it.
Sandra wrote her very first novel, a romance she called Rapture in the Sands. She sent a synopsis and one chapter to several publishers. A senior editor at Harlequin liked what she’d read and asked to see the rest. After revisions, Harlequin Mills and Boon Ltd bought and published the book.
Today, Sandra is a full time author. She lives in northern Connecticut with her husband, who was her childhood sweetheart, in a sun-drenched house surrounded by woods.

Author Links
Website - http://www.sandramarton.com/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/SandraMartonAuthor
Twitter - https://twitter.com/SandraMarton
Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Sandra-Marton/e/B000APV1QW/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1366852095&sr=1-2-ent

5 comments:

  1. Loved this interview and can't wait for Emily's book fun finding out about a favorite author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, ladies!
    Cannot wait for Emilyand Marco to make their grand appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Interview, So very excited to read Emily's story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Emma....LOVED this interview!! What a great job you did! I love Sandra's books I have read about 48 of her books and working my way through the rest. Thanks for sending me this link!!! I am so looking forward to Emily's story and this made me even more anxious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Carol! I have loved all of Sandra's books so far, especially those Wilde Brothers!! ;) Not long to wait now for Emily's story! x Emma x

      Delete