Monday, 11 February 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - C.R.Everett

I have been quite lucky enough to be able to chat to Author C.R Everett and thought it would be quite good to get some questions answered for the blog,  Her book Love, Carry My Bags really touched me, and not many books have done that for a while.

Q. If you could work with any author who would it be?
A. Colleen McCullough

Q. Who is your favourite author and is your writing style similar to theirs?
A. That is such a hard question. I like so many. I suppose J.K. Rowling because I loved the little hidden meanings she tucked away in her writing and I’ve read more books from her than any other author. For instance, I knew that Dementors represented depression and I thought it was a very clever representation when she said they sucked all the happiness out of a person. I’ve tried to weave similar things into my writing. For instance, comparing some people to elephants and others to leopards. Aside from that, no, I wouldn’t say the writing style is similar.

Q. What's your favorite part of a book?
A. Another hard question. The part where I’m lost in it and don’t want to put the book down!

Q. When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning?
A. Sort of. For instance, I named Glenn Conroy and then reasoned that he was a type of con-artist, so that was quite fitting. I researched Dahlgren, finding there was a respected military officer with that last name around the time of the civil war, so that was plenty good enough for me. Then Johnson was a nice, common name for a character that considered herself nothing out of the ordinary.

Q.. Who are your target readers?
A.  Most of my readers are 30- 50-year-old women, but any adult, and even men could enjoy Love, Carry My Bags. I’ve had three men tell me they were moved to tears.

Q. What are the major themes of your work?
A.  Love, loss (all kinds of loss—lost love, death, loss of self), standing up for yourself, self-sacrifice, justice, and finding good and purpose in the bad in life.

Q. Any recent works that you admire?
A.I have less reading time than I want to, but I’ve read A.J. Lape’s Grade A Stupid and really enjoyed that, especially her portrayal of an ADHD-challenged young woman who still came out on top without pissing too many people off. I also loved Jessica Park’s Flat-Out Love. The mother in that book had depression. I guess I’m drawn to books with people who have something wrong with them!

Q. What do you think people search for in a book?
A.I have no idea. Ha ha! No, really, there are so many tastes out there. In general, I think people look for an escape or inspiration or just entertainment. I personally look for a message buried in there somewhere. If a book doesn’t have any message, I’m not interested.

Q. How have your personal experiences affected your writing?
A. I don’t think the page is long enough to explain.

Q. What genre of books do you like to read? Do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?
A. I must be weird. I’m not stuck on a specific genre. I don’t read horror though. I’ve only written one full-length book, but the other stories I imagine writing in the future are not all the same genre. One person suggested I’d written true-life fiction. I’d been calling it family saga, but I have hopes to write something paranormal-ish and also perhaps YA. I don’t really know how to categorize what I plan to write. I know what it’s not, not what it is. I hate categories.

Q. Were you always good at writing? 
A.  I think I’ve always had a talent toward it, but it’s taken a lot of practice to polish it up into something presentable to the world.

Q. How do you get started with writing a story (as in, how do you start developing the story, how do you get inspired for it?)
Usually I get a seed of an idea and it grows from there. Sometimes an idea just pops into my mind, other times, something real happens that I need to explore.

Q. What advice would you give to people who "run out of creativity" when writing?
A. There are writing prompts you can find online. Try starting with a few of those and “stretch your writing muscles.” Something might break loose and spur an idea.

Q. When writing Love Carry My Bags, you had to deal with ADHD how did you research this and do you think you accurately portrayed it?
A. I didn’t research it at all. I didn’t even know I was writing about ADHD until after it was written. When you haven’t had your heart just merely broken, but ground up in a meat-grinder by undiagnosed ADHD in a relationship, you’re writing what you know, no research needed.

It wasn’t until I just so happened to hear an old Oprah show on the radio about Adult ADHD that I realized what exactly I was writing about. Then I did my research to verify my extremely strong suspicions. I’ve also had at least four reviewers comment that it was a spot-on portrayal.

Q. And last one, what would you like to say to your fans?
A. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy lives to read Love, Carry My Bags. I hope that you’ve been touched and perhaps even inspired to look at life differently and I hope that if you’ve needed strength in your life, you’ve found at least a little bit of it in Love, to keep you going. Also, if you know someone who might enjoy, identify with, or even find some solace in Love, Carry My Bags, please spread the word.

I would like to say a massive thank you to author C.R. Everett for taking the time to answer my questions,  also for writing such a fantastic, emotional book.



Love, Carry My Bags Amazon UK

Love, Carry My Bags Amazon US  

2 comments:

  1. brilliant Q & A , love this interview, thank you Natalie and Carmen

    ReplyDelete