Wednesday, 13 February 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - Melody Anne
 
I knew when I set this page up that one of the first people i wanted to question is Author Melody Anne,  i found melody by accident when i stumbled across her book The Tycoons Revenge on Amazon, and i think i fell in love with her writing straight away, melody drew me into her books and i didn't want to put it down, i was so happy to find that i could purchase her other books straight away,  i think i read all her collection in a couple of weeks,  Then the wait began for The Tycoon's Secret it felt like December was never going to arrive, i really couldn't wait to read the book and searched Melody's Facebook Page for constant sneak peaks or any update.  I was so happy when December 15th arrived and was ecstatic when i read it and realised the whole series tied together nicely
While stalking, oops i mean talking to melody she told me about her YA Midnight Series, i had seen them on Amazon however thought maybe i was too old for them, but i decided to give them a try anyway, I'm so glad i did even though they are YA they are possibly my favorite of Melody's series,  the idea is genius and i love the whole Good V evil and Light V Dark aspect of the book and showing that even the dark can become good,  the lead character Phoenix Light is inspirational to any teenager.   


                         Midnight Fire - Amazon UK       Midnight Moon - Amazon UK

I cant wait to continue my friendship with lovely melody and will always be first in line to buy a Melody Anne book, i hope you enjoy the interview, i know i loved reading the fantastic answers
Q.  If you could work with any author who would it be?
A. This is a really hard question. There are so many author’s it would be a dream come true to work with. I’d have to surprise people and say, Stephen King, though, because I’m working on a horror book, and I’d love to get his advice.

Q. What's your favorite part of a book?
A. I honestly don’t have a favorite part, I don’t think. I guess if I had to pick something, it would be the outline. I love figuring out my characters, getting to know them, trying to get into their heads. It’s like meeting a new friend, and I get emotionally attached to them.

Q. When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning?
A. Not normally, however, for my new book, Surrender, I did look up meaning behind the names and chose that way.

Q. Any recent works that you admire
A. I don’t get nearly enough time to read anymore. My fans are demanding J Just kidding, but I don’t get to read a whole lot, lately. I have my favorite romance writers, for when I need to sink into a really great love story, but the most memorable book I’ve read lately would probably be “Under the Dome” by Stephen King. The way he develops his characters is unbelievable.

Q. How have your personal experiences affected your writing?
A. My personal experiences have everything to do with my writing. I’ll insert things from my personal life into my stories all the time. Like the bike ride story in Midnight Storm actually happened with my best friend and me when I was a teen. I was the one who ended up head first in the bushes. The Canada trip in my romance story was taken from when I was 18 and my other best friend and I decided it would be a good idea to drive to Canada. It was one of the most fun trips I’ve ever taken.

Q. What genre of books do you like to read? Do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?
A.  I love many genres, of course romance and YA. I also love a good horror or drama. I don’t like non-fiction books so much, but that’s probably from all the text books I had to read during college.

Q. How do you get started with writing a story (as in, how do you start developing the story, how do you get inspired for it)
A. It all varies. Sometimes I’ll be reading and a line in a book will set off my imagination. Sometimes I’ll be visiting with someone and something they say will trigger a thought and then my mind won’t shut down until I get to writing an outline. Sometimes a movie will inspire me. I watch and listen to everything and listen to myself when I get inspired.

Q. You have your romance Genre and your YA novels which do you enjoy writing more?
A. I enjoy them both, and I love the horror I’ve been slowly working on. I get to do different things with each kind. I get to let out my anger with the horror, my romantic side with romance, and my fun with YA. I get to create worlds and actually get paid to do it. There’s nothing better.

Q. If your Anderson series got made into a movie who do you visualise as your ideal cast?
A. That’s impossible for me to figure out. There are so many people out there I can picture. I can totally see Patrick Dempsey as Lucas, though. I think he’s just about the hottest guy around. I’d love to see Reese Witherspoon as Amy.

Q. What do you find the Hardest to write when writing your books?
A. The climax for my YA. I struggle with those, with making them exciting enough without going over the top. I normally finish the story and then come back in there and fix that part up. I have trouble with the ending, too, cause I have such a hard time saying goodbye to my characters, which is why I like to write series. I get to keep bringing them back again and again.

Q. Your fans love your series do you feel more pressure to deliver the stories and keep the series going how do you know when a series has come to an end?
A. I LOVE that my fans want more and more. I guess the answer to that will be when I can’t think of a new idea for the series or when I don’t love writing about the characters anymore. I haven’t yet ended any of the series, so I haven’t figured out when to end them yet, I guess. I have figured out that its better for me to work on other stuff in between though to keep me fresh.

Q. you connect with your readers on a frequent basis and a lot now see you as a friend how does that make you feel knowing you have touched so many with your words?
A. I know that I am nothing without my fans. I can’t do what I do without any of them, so I love chatting and getting to know them on a more personal basis, seeing pics of their kids on Facebook, and hearing about their days. I love the support system. I also love that if a fan has a question about a book, they can ask. I love this new Internet generation.

Q. If you weren’t an author what would you be?
A. Oh, that is the question. I have a bachelor’s degree in business that I call my 100k dollar piece of paper. I never loved business, but got to a point that I had to decide on a major and settled with that. If I had to choose an occupation, it would be a History College Professor. I love school!! In my house it’s not a question of if my kids will continue with schooling after high school, but what school will they go to. I think I’d love being a teacher. I just love writing even more.

Q. What advice would you give to people who "run out of creativity" when writing?
A.  Ah, I have this problem sometimes. It sucks. When I get lost, I will watch a movie, read a book, go to the mall and people watch. You’d be amazed what you can discover by just watching life. I’ve gotten my best ideas by sitting at the mall or a park and just watching people. When I get stalled, I force myself to relax and then the ideas will come.
 
Thank you for reading 
The Lovelies x

4 comments:

  1. What an enlightening interview! It's so nice to know the inner workings of an author's mind. Thank you Lovelies for this wonderful opportunity for us to get to know Melody better.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome diane, glad you enjoyed it, please share post on island lovelies book club so other fans of melody get to see thank you natalie x

      Delete
  2. Loved this interview thank you so much nice to learn new facts about one of my favorite aouthors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you ginny, i was so excited to get to ask melody questions she is in my top 5 of favorite authors x Natalie x

      Delete